Volume 3, Number 6

o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - o
-                                                                     -
-                                           November 15, 1996         -
-      O P - S F   N E T                    Volume 3, Number 6        -
-      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        -
-      Editors:                                                       -
-      Tom H. Koornwinder                   thk@wins.uva.nl            -
-      Martin Muldoon                       muldoon@yorku.ca          -
-                                                                     -
-      The Electronic News Net of the SIAM Activity Group             -
-      on Orthogonal Polynomials and Special Functions                -
-                                                                     -
-                 Please send contributions to:  poly@siam.org        -
-                 & address changes to:  poly-request@siam.org        -
-                                                                     -
o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - o

Today's Topics:
     1. Editorship, SIAM J. Math. Anal.
     2. History of OP & SF on OP-SF WEB
     3. Revising the 1991 Mathematics Subject Classification
     4. SIAM Student Paper Prizes
     5. One-day meeting in Leuven on Constructive Complex Analysis
     6. Centenary conference at Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison
     7. Death of Felix Arscott
     8. Postdoctoral Opportunity in Computation of Special Functions
     9. Report of Madrid Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials in
         Mathematical Physics
    10. Bibliography on Orthogonal Polynomials
    11. Extended version of Askey-Wilson-scheme report
    12. Review of "Table of Integrals, Series, and Products,
         CD-ROM Version 1.0"
    13. Book announcement on Quantum Theory of Angular Momentum
    14. Announcement of edited book on Symmetries and Integrability of
         Difference Equations
    15. Mathai Festschrift
    16. Announcement of book on Zonal Polynomials
    17. Announcement of edited book on Mathematical Analysis, Wavelets and
         Signal Processing
    18. Announcement of book on Polynomials and Polynomial Inequalities
    19. The Collected Works of Lars Onsager
    20. ftp site for papers in Orthogonal Polynomials and Special
          Functions
    21. Changes of Address, WWW pages. etc.
    22. Part 33 of 1991 Mathematics Subject Classification
    23. Montreal Workshop on Calogero-Moser-Sutherland systems
    24. Obtaining back issues of OP-SF Net and submitting contributions
         to OP-SF Net and Newsletter

Calendar of events:                                         see issue/topic:

1996
November 28: One-day meeting in Leuven on Constructive Complex Analysis
                                                                    3.6 #5

1997
January 13-24: Workshop on Special Functions & Differential
      Equations, Madras                                             3.3 #6
March 10-15: Workshop on Calogero-Moser-Sutherland Systems
        in Montreal                                                3.6 #23
March 17 - May 30: MSRI program on Symmetric functions and
        representation theory                                       3.3 #5
May 22-24: Centenary Conference, including minisymposium on special
    functions in Madison, Wisconsin                                 3.4 #5
June 2-6: First ISAAC Conference (International Society for Analysis,
    its  Applications and Computation) in Newark, Delaware          3.5 #3
June 9-20: CRM Workshop on Algebraic Combinatorics, Montreal        3.5 #4
June 24-28: Continued Fractions and Geometric Function Theory
            (Trondheim, Norway)                                     3.2 #8
July 14-18: SIAM 45th Anniversary Meeting, Stanford, California
July 14-18: 9th International Conference on Formal Power Series
  and Algebraic Combinatorics, Vienna, Austria                      3.4 #7
September 22-26: VIII Simposium sobre Polinomios Ortogonales y
   Aplicaciones, Seville, Spain                                     3.5 #5

Topic #1  ---------------  OP-SF NET  ---------------- November 15, 1996
From: Nico Temme <nicot@cwi.nl>
Subject: Editorship, SIAM J. Math. Anal.

I want to inform the OP & SF community that I have accepted an invitation
from Managing Editor DiBenedetto to join the editorial board of SIAM J.
Math. Analysis.

I have pointed out that my main activities are in asymptotics (also
related with special functions) and that I expect that more theoretical
papers on special functions and orthogonal polynomials will be handled by
a different editor.

Nico Temme

Topic #2  ---------------  OP-SF NET  ---------------- November 15, 1996
From: Tom Koornwinder <thk@wins.uva.nl>
Subject: History of OP & SF on OP-SF WEB

On OP-SF WEB we have started a page about the history of OP & SF; see

 http://www.math.yorku.ca/Who/Faculty/Muldoon/siamopsf/

This section of OP-SF WEB is intended to provide on-line information on
significant contributors to Orthogonal Polynomials and Special Functions,
who are no longer alive.  A rich source of initial information can be
found in the History of Mathematics archive at St. Andrews University, see

 http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/

In particular, consult their full alphabetical index and their search
form.  A quick scan revealed the names of

Airy, Akhiezer, Appell, Bateman, Bell, Bessel, Catalan, Chebyshev,
Chandrasekhar, Coulomb, Dixon, Erdelyi, Euler, Fibonacci, Gauss,
Gegenbauer, Henrici, Jacobi, Kummer, Laguerre, Legendre, Lerch,
Mascheroni, Pade, Pfaff, Ramanujan, Stieltjes, Sturm, Szego, Ulam,
Vandermonde, Whittaker.

Probably, many further names relevant for our field can be found there.

On our Web page we will provide specific links to places elsewhere on the
Web which provide historical information about persons significant for our
field. Until now we only know about a few such places.  We invite our
readers to inform us about other relevant places.  We also want to ask you
to write a page about your favourite mathematician from history if you
think that this person is not yet sufficiently covered on the Web.

Topic #3  ---------------  OP-SF NET  ---------------- November 15, 1996