Volume 6, Number 1

o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - o
-                                                                     -
-                                             January 15, 1999        -
-                                                                     -
-      O P - S F   N E T                    Volume 6, Number 1        -
-      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        -
-      Editor:                                                        -
-      Martin Muldoon                       muldoon@yorku.ca          -
-                                                                     -
-      The Electronic News Net of the SIAM Activity Group             -
-      on Orthogonal Polynomials and Special Functions                -
-                                                                     -
-              Please send contributions to:     poly@siam.org        -
-              Subscribe by mailing to:  poly-request@siam.org        -
-                                or to:  majordomo@wins.uva.nl        -
-                                                                     -
o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - o

Today's Topics

     1. Editorship of OP-SF NET
     2. SIAG/OS election results
     3. Message from the Chair
     4. Atlanta Minisymposium on Orthogonal polynomials
     5. International Workshop on Special Functions, Hong Kong
     6. Subject: INTAS workshop: "Constructive complex analysis" in Leuven.
     7. Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials: Approximation and Harmonic
               Analysis, Ballenstedt, Germany
     8. International Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials, Special
          Functions and their Applications (OPSFA) - Patras
     9. Gyorgy Alexits Memorial Conference (Budapest)
    10. Death of A. P. Prudnikov
    11. New book on Special Functions (Andrews, Askey and Roy)
    12. Maple package to manipulate hypergeometric series
    13. SIAM Election Results
    14. ICIAM 99 Travel Grants
    15. The Ralph E. Kleinman Prize
    16. OP-SF preprints in xxx archive
    17. Changes of Address, WWW Pages, etc.
    18. Subscribing to OP-SF NET
    19. Obtaining back issues of OP-SF NET and submitting contributions
          to OP-SF NET and Newsletter

Calendar of Events:

1999
February 3-5: INTAS workshop: "Constructive complex analysis" in Leuven,
     Belgium                                                       6.1 #6
March 29 - April 2: Fifth International Conference on Approximation
     and Optimization in the Caribbean, Guadeloupe                 5.4 #4
April 23-26: Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials: Approximation and
         Harmonic Analysis, Ballenstedt, Germany                   6.1 #7
May 12-15: SIAM Annual Meeting in Atlanta                          5.6 #3
  (May 14-15: Minisymposium: Orthogonal Polynomials; Theory and Practice
                    5.6 #4, 6.1 #4)
June 6-11: International Conference on Rational Approximation,
     Antwerp, Belgium                                              5.5 #3
June 21-25: International Workshop on Special Functions: Asymptotics,
     Harmonic Analysis, and Mathematical Physics, Hong Kong
                                                            5.4 #5 6.1 #5
July 5-9: ICIAM '99, Edinburgh                                     5.5 #4
                  (Minisymposium on asymptotics 5.6 #5)
August 9-14: Gyorgy Alexits Memorial Conference, Budapest
              Hungary                                              6.1 #8
September 14-18:  International Conference on Analytic Methods of
         Analysis and Differential Equations, Minsk, Belarus       5.6 #6
September 20-24: International Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials,
     Special Functions and Their Applications, Patras,
     Greece                                               5.4 #3   6.1 #8

2000
July 10-14: SIAM Annual Meeting in Puerto Rico

Topic #1    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  ------------  January 15, 1999
From: Martin Muldoon <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: Editorship of OP-SF NET

This is the first issue of OP-SF NET which does not bear the name of Tom
Koornwinder as Editor.  Tom was the driving force behind the creation of
the NET over five years ago and the credit for its continuing vitality is
almost entirely due to him.  As one of the leaders in the fields covered
by our group, he has been in close contact with those active in these
areas throughout the world.  Although the NET has depended heavily on
submissions from readers, it often seemed as if Tom could create a full
issue based on what his own contacts and correspondence produced.  He was
constantly aware of the need to make sure that the OP-SF NET was
performing a useful service and that the methods of delivery were
appropriate for the varying levels of technology available to readers and
potential readers in different countries.  He was at the forefront in
making arrangements for our web site, for opsftalk, and for archives of
papers in our areas.

It has been a privilege to work with Tom as co-editor for the past
few years. It has made it possible for me to contemplate continuing as
editor for two more years.  I ask for the assistance of all readers in
this task.  In particular, please let me know of any new conferences,
books, software or any other item which you think may be of interest to
our community.  Do not assume that I will become of them automatically!

I would like to hear from anyone who would like to join me in the task of
editing OP-SF NET.  At the very least, it would be important to have an
overlap period between my term and that of the next editor(s).  But I can
use help right now.  I can let interested people know what is involved.
The appointment of editors or co-editors is a matter for the Officers of
the Activity Group.

Topic #2    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  ------------  January 15, 1999
From: Martin Muldoon <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: SIAG/OS election results

Since the dsitribution of the last issue of OP-SF NET the results of the
elections for Officers of the Activity Group have been announced.  They
are as follows (all terms from January 1, 1999 to December 31, 2001):

     Chair:
     Daniel W. Lozier
     Gaithersburg, MD, USA
     email: dlozier@nist.gov

     Vice Chair:
     Walter Van Assche
     Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
     Leuven, Belgium
     email: Walter.VanAssche@wis.kuleuven.ac.be

     Program Director:
     Francisco Marcellan
     Univ. Carlos III de Madrid
     Leganes, Spain
     email: pacomarc@ing.uc3m.es

     Secretary:
     Charles F. Dunkl
     University of Virginia
     Charlottesville, VA, USA
     email: cfd5z@virginia.edu

Welcome to the new officers!  We are fortunate to have the continued
service (now as Secretary) of Charles Dunkl, our founding Chair. I have
had the pleasure of working with Charles and Tom Koornwinder for the past
six years and with George Gasper, Bill Miller, Nico Temme, Eugene Tomer
and Wolfram Koepf for part of that time. Recently, Renato Alvarez-Nodarse
and Rafael Yanez took over as co-editors of the printed Newsletter. I
look forward to working with the new officers and editors.

Topic #3  ------------ OP-SF NET 6.1 ------------ January 15, 1999
From: Daniel W. Lozier <dlozier@nist.gov>
Subject: Message from the Chair

This is my first message to the membership as chair of the activity group.
I wish to extend my greetings to everyone and to express my hope that
together we can advance the programs and activities of the group.  Please
feel free to contact me if you have any concerns about the group, or any
suggestions or recommendations to improve the functioning of the group.

The group was chartered by SIAM on January 1, 1990, for an initial term of
three years.  Charles Dunkl was one of the founders of the group, and he
served as its first chair.  Under his leadership the group grew and its
charter has been renewed by SIAM at the end of each 3-year term.  In
addition to chairing the group in the first term, Charles served in this
capacity in the second and third terms.  I am honored to follow him as
chair for the fourth term, and I am pleased that he is continuing his
service to the group as secretary.  I look forward to working with him and
with the other two officers, Walter Van Assche and Francisco Marcellan.

Now for a word or two about the upcoming meeting in Atlanta.  I am
negotiating with SIAM to arrange an informal social gathering at the hotel
for activity group members and other interested people.  The minisymposium
that is being organized by Jeff Geronimo is scheduled for Friday, May 14,
4:30 - 6:30, and Saturday, May 15, 10:45 - 12:45.  Tentatively, the social
gathering will be for one hour immediately following the Friday
minisymposium.  Light refreshments will be served.  I will provide updated
information in the next OPSF-Net.

Finally, let me mention changes that will be occurring in OPSF-Net and
OPSF-Talk.  Currently Tom Koornwinder is providing subscription and
archiving on his computer system in Amsterdam.  He is also acting as
moderator for OPSF-Talk to prevent the dissemination of inappropriate
messages such as those that were disseminated a few times last year.
These services will be shifted elsewhere soon.  I will provide an update
in the next OPSF-Net.  For now, I wish to thank Tom for his dedicated
service to the group, and for his generous willingness to continue for a
short time until new arrangements can be made.

Dan Lozier
Chair

Topic #4    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  ------------  January 15, 1999
From: OP-SF NET Editor <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: Minisymposium; Orthogonal polynomials; Theory and Applications

In OP-SF NET 5.6, Topic #4, Jeff Geronimo (geronimo@math.gatech.edu)
reported as follows:

A Minisymposium "Orthogonal polynomials; Theory and Applications"
will be held during the SIAM Annual Meeting in Atlanta, May 12-15,
1999.  The invited speakers are:
Percy Deift (New York)
Charles Dunkl (Charlottesville, Virginia)
Jeff Geronimo (Atlanta)
Leonid Golinski (Columbus, Ohio)
Sergei Suslov  (Tempe, Arizona)
Walter Van Assche (Leuven)
Gerald Teschl (Vienna)
Hugo Woerdeman  (Williamsburg, Virginia)"

Recently, SIAM provided the information that the Minisymposium is
scheduled for Friday, May 14, 4:30 to 6:30 pm and Saturday, May 15, 10:45
am to 12:45 pm.

Topic #5    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  ------------  January 15, 1999
From: Charles F. Dunkl <cfd5z@virginia.edu>
Subject: International Workshop on Special Functions: Asymptotics,
     Harmonic Analysis, and Mathematical Physics, Hong Kong

(See OP-SF NET, Topic #5.)
The second announcement will be published shortly.  It will have
information about registration, lodging, associated tourist activities.
The website http://www.cityu.edu.hk/ma/conference/iwsf/ will contain
up-to-date information.

Topic #6    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  ------------  January 15, 1999
From: Walter Van Assche <Walter.VanAssche@wis.kuleuven.ac.be>
Subject: INTAS workshop: "Constructive complex analysis" in Leuven.

INTAS is an international association for the promotion of collaboration
between Western Europe and the countries of the New Independent States
(the former USSR). There will be an INTAS workshop in the framework of the
project "Constructive complex analysis and density functionals"  at the
Department of Mathematics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium),
organized by Walter Van Assche. The workshop is from February 3 to
February 5, 1999. There will be several talks by the following speakers:

Guillermo Lopez: Asymptotics of Stieltjes polynomials
Francisco Marcellan: Semiclassical orthogonal polynomials and
   electrostatic properties of their zeros
Andrei Martinez: Entropy of Gegenbauer polynomials
Antonio Duran: Indeterminate matrix moment problems
Renato Alvarez: Linearization problems for discrete q-polynomials
Vladimir Sorokin: Angelesco-Nikishin systems in number theory
Alexander Aptekarev: Asymptotics for varying weights
Arno Kuijlaars: The support of equilibrium measures

The workshop is mainly intended for the participants in the workshop, but
others are welcome to attend. Please notify walter@wis.kuleuven.ac.be if
you are interested in attending.

Topic #7    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  -----------  January 15, 1999
From: Juergen Prestin <prestin@gsf.de>
Subject: Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials: Approximation and Harmonic
      Analysis, Ballenstedt, Germany

Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials: Approximation and Harmonic Analysis
Ballenstedt, Germany, April 23--26, 1999}

 The second Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials will focus on approximation
 theoretic methods and the relationship to abstract harmonic analysis.
 The Workshop will take place in Ballenstedt in the Harz mountains
 southwest of Berlin.  For more information consult the homepage of the
 workshop:
 http://www.gsf.de/institute/ibb/prestin/work2.html

Invited Speakers: P. Butzer (Aachen), C. Dunkl (Charlottesville),
W. Gautschi (Purdue),  H. Mhaskar (Los Angeles), A. Singh (Delhi),
R. Szwarc (Wroclaw)

Language: German  and English

Organizing Committee: F. Filbir, R. Lasser, J. Prestin

Mailing Address:

Prof. R. Lasser or Dr. J. Prestin
Institute of Biomathematics and Biometry
GSF - National Center for Environment and Health
D - 85764 Neuherberg
WWW: http://www.gsf.de/institute/ibb/prestin/work2.html

Juergen Prestin
prestin@gsf.de

Topic #8    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  -----------  January 15, 1999
From: Panayiotis D. Siafarikas <panos@math.upatras.gr>
Subject:  Fifth International Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials, Special
          Functions and their Applications (OPSFA) in Honour of Theodore
          Chihara

(Editor's Note: This is an edited version of the SECOND CIRCULAR; full
copies, including registration form and hotel information can be obtained
from the organizers.)

Dear colleague and friend,

The Department of Mathematics of the University of Patras is delighted to
host the Fifth International Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials, Special
Functions and their Applications (OPSFA, for short), which will be held
for the first time in Patras in the period September 20 - 24, 1999.  The
Scientific Committee has decided that the Symposium should be dedicated to
Professor Theodore Chihara. Based on the overwhelming response to the
first circular, we expect about 150 scientists from all over the world.
If you would like to give a talk, please indicate its title on the
registration form.  We shall do our best to set up a balanced programme.
The city of Patras, with its friendly people, its numerous sights and its
diverse surroundings, has much to offer to create a pleasant and enjoyable
atmosphere surrounding the Symposium.

We look forward to seeing you in Patras in September.

The scientific programme includes plenary lectures and research seminars.
An approximate time table will be given in the third circular, which will
be sent to all those who register for the Symposium.  The final programme
will be distributed at the registration desk on Sunday 19 and Monday 20
September.

PLENARY LECTURES AND RESEARCH  SEMINARS

There will be 10 plenary lectures and about 100 research seminars or
contributed talks organized into parallel sessions.  The time assigned for
a plenary lecture is 60 minutes (50 minutes for presentation and 10
minutes for discussion). Research seminars are assigned 25 minutes (20
minutes for presentation and 5 minutes for discussion). All
participants are invited to submit a 25 - minute research  seminar.

The plenary lectures are as follows:

- D. Bessis (France): On the application of Moment Methods to non-linear
         partial differential equations of parabolic type in arbitrary
         dimensions.

- T. Chihara (USA): 45 years of Orthogonal Polynomials: a View from the
                             Wings.

- J. Dehesa (Spain): Quantum Entropies and Orthogonal Polynomials.

- A. Elbert (Hungary): Some recent results on the zeros of Bessel
       functions and Orthogonal Polynomials.

- N. Everitt (U.K.) - Orthogonal polynomials, linear differential
       equations and the Kramer sampling theory.

- W. Gautschi (USA) - Orthogonal polynomials and quadrature.

- T. Kriecherbauer (Germany) - A Riemann-Hilbert approach to asymptotic
       questions in Orthogonal Polynomials.

- A. Kuijlaars (Belgium) - Asymptotics of Orthogonal Polynomials with
       Slowly Decaying Weights.

- V. N. Sorokin (Russia) - Applications of simultaneous orthogonal
       polynomials in number theory, theoretical physics and dynamical systems

- R. Wong (Hong Kong) - Asymptotics and Orthogonal Polynomials.

ABSTRACTS

Participants who wish to present a research talk, are asked to send a
title and an abstract written in English before May 30.  The abstract
should not exceed one page but should have a minimum of 15 lines with the
description of the topic covered in a comprehensive manner.  Since the
abstracts will be reproduced directly in the book of abstracts, their
typographical quality should be as good as possible.

The invited speakers are also requested to send a one page abstract of
their presentation.

PUBLICATIONS

The book of abstracts will be distributed to the participants upon
registration at the Symposium desk.  The Proceedings of the Symposium will
be published in Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics.

REGISTRATION, FEES AND ACCOMMODATION

Please complete the REGISTRATION FORM (available from the organizers) and
return it before May 30 to the Symposium Mailing Address (below).

NOTE:  (US)$1  = 300 drachmas, approximately

The following fees are applicable for the Symposium:
-	Participants: 50000 drachmas
-	Students: 20000 drachmas
-	Accompanying persons: 20000 drachmas

After May 30, all participants and their companions must pay an additional
fee of 10000 drachmas for late registration.  Participant and student
fees include:
-	Admission to the Symposium
-	Symposium documents
-	Book of Abstracts
-	Symposium Proceedings
-	Official Reception
-	Greek evening
-	Guided visit to ancient Olympia
-       Other social events are being considered

Accompanying persons' fee includes:
-	Official Reception
-       Greek evening
-	Guided visit to ancient Olympia
-	Other social events are being considered

Payment of the registration fee should be made in Greek currency by
bank-to-bank transfer to bank account no. 131 01 0091 79 92 of
Agricultural Bank of Greece, Patras branch. A copy of the corresponding
bank receipt should be sent together with the Registration Form.
In each payment the name(s) of the participant(s) must be stated.

Cancellations should be made to the local organizing committee in writing.
The following, rules will apply.
-	cancellation received before July 15, 1999: 80% refund
-	cancellation received before August 30, 1999: 50% refund
-	cancellation received after August 30, 1999: no refund
The registration / information desk will be open on:
- Sunday, September 19, from 16:00 - 21:30
- Other days, from 9:00 to 18:00

Accommodation: All participants will be lodged in rooms at some of the
hotels of Patras, which are near the Symposium Site or in the centre of
Patras.  (Details from the organizers.) On the registration form, please
put the hotels in order of preference.  Because the number of available
rooms in each hotel is limited, we will reserve your rooms strictly in
order of response.  The cost of accommodation be paid directly to the
hotel.  Remark: We intend to arrange your transportation from your hotels
to the Symposium Site when this is not provided by the hotels.

OFFICIAL INVITATIONS

In special cases, the Organizing Committee is prepared to send a personal
invitation for participation to the Symposium.  It should be understood
that such an invitation is not a commitment on the part of the organizers
to provide any financial support.

SYMPOSIUM SITE

The Symposium will be held at the Conference and Cultural Hall of the
University of Patras, located at the University Campus (well connected by
bus to Patras city centre.) The city and its surroundings are special
attractions.  Patras may be reached easily by car, bus (3 hours from
Athens by National Road)  train (3.5 hours form Athens)  and ship
(especially for people coming from Italy).

DEADLINES

Registration must be received before May 30.  Abstracts must be received
before May 30.

SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE

Walter Van Assche (Belgium)
Marcel de Bruin (Holland)
Evangelos Ifantis (Greece)
Andrea Laforgia (Italy)
Lance Littlejohn (USA)
Paco Marcellan (Spain)
Martin Muldoon (Canada)
Panayiotis Siafarikas (Greece)

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Evangelos Ifantis (Greece)
Chrisoula Kokologiannaki (Greece)
Panayiotis Siafarikas (Greece)

FURTHER COMMUNICATIONS

There will be a third (final) circular in June sent only to those who will
have submitted the registration form. We suggest that you make your
registration as soon as possible.

SYMPOSIUM MAILING ADDRESS

Fifth international symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials,
  Special Functions and their Applications.
Department of Mathematics
(to Prof P. D. Siafarikas)
University of Patras
Patras 26500
Greece
Tel. - Fax: +(3) 061 997169
E-Mail: opsfa@math.upatras.gr

Web site: http://www.math.upatras.gr/opsfa

Please bring this announcement to the attention of interested people.

             Looking forward to seeing you in Patras,
             Cordially yours,
             Panayiotis D. Siafarikas
             (On behalf of the Organizing Committee)

Topic #9    ------------   OP-SF NET 6.1  ------------  January 15, 1999