OP-SF Net (Vol. 6, No. 4) July 15, 1999

o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - o
-                                                                     -
-                                                July 15, 1999        -
-                                                                     -
-      O P - S F   N E T                    Volume 6, Number 4        -
-      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        -
-      Editor:                                                        -
-      Martin Muldoon                       muldoon@yorku.ca          -
-                                                                     -
-      The Electronic News Net of the SIAM Activity Group             -
-      on Orthogonal Polynomials and Special Functions                -
-                                                                     -
-              Please send contributions to:     poly@siam.org        -
-              Subscribe by mailing to:  poly-request@siam.org        -
-                                or to:  majordomo@wins.uva.nl        -
-                                                                     -
o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - o

Today's Topics
     1. From the Editor
     2. Message from the Chair
     3. Gainesville Conference on Symbolic Computation, Number Theory,
           Special Functions, Physics and Combinatorics
     4. Sturmfels to lecture at DMV-Jahrestagung 1999
     5. Berkeley Workshop on Computational Algebraic Analysis
     6. San Diego Symposium on Asymptotics and Applied Analysis
     7. Alhambra 2000: a Joint Mathematical European-Arabic Conference
     8. Vigo Colloquium on Lie Theory
     9. Report on INTAS Workshop in Leuven
    10. Reports on Ballenstedt Workshop
    11. Reports from Hong Kong Workshop
    12. Review of "Hypergeometric Summation" by Wolfram Koepf
    13. Announcement of a book on self-similar systems
    14. Postdoctoral position in special functions and computer algebra
    15. Richard C. DiPrima Prize
    16. George B. Dantzig Prize
    17. OP-SF preprints in xxx archive
    18. Changes of Address, WWW Pages, etc
    19. Subscribing to OP-SF NET
    20. Obtaining back issues of OP-SF NET and submitting contributions
         to OP-SF NET and Newsletter

Calendar of Events:

1999
August 9-13: MAA Seminar "Calculus and Counting", Duluth, MN, USA  6.2 #8
August 9-14: Gyorgy Alexits Memorial Conference, Budapest
              Hungary                                              6.1 #8
August 13-20, 1999: Third International Workshop "Transform Methods &
          Special Functions, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria                 6.2 #5
August 18-20: Workshop on Symbolic and Numerical Scientific
           Computation, Linz, Austria                              6.3 #4
September 14-18:  International Conference on Analytic Methods of
         Analysis and Differential Equations, Minsk, Belarus       5.6 #6
September 20-24: International Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials,
     Special Functions and Their Applications, Patras,
     Greece                                               5.4 #3   6.1 #8
October 31 - November 7: Benin Workshop on Contemporary
     Problems in Mathematical Physics                              6.3 #6
November 8-12: Hong Kong Workshop on Minimal Energy Problems       6.3 #5
November 11-13: Conference on Symbolic Computation, Number Theory,
      Special Functions, Physics and Combinatorics,
                     Gainesville, Florida, USA                     6.4 #3

2000
January 5-7: Workshop on Computational Algebraic Analysis
                     Berkeley, California, USA                     6.4 #5
January 10-14: Symposium on Asymptotics and Applied Analysis
                     San Diego, California, USA                    6.4 #6
July 3-7: Alhambra 2000, a Joint Mathematical European-Arabic
                     Conference                                    6.4 #7
July 10-14: SIAM Annual Meeting in Puerto Rico
July 17-22: I Colloquium on Lie Theory and Applications
                      Vigo, Spain                                  6.4 #8

Topic #1    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Martin Muldoon <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: From the Editor

Once again, we are in the midst of a very busy summer of activities in the
areas of orthogonal polynomials and special functions.  Several news items
in this issue report on recent activities and announce forthcoming ones.
A major highlight of the past month was the Hong Kong meeting modestly
styled a "Workshop" but in fact a major international gathering in special
functions with an emphasis on asymptotics, harmonic analysis and
mathematical physics.  In Topic #11, Bill Connett and Paco Marcellan give
their impressions of the Workshop, followed by a report on the asymptotic
aspects by Nico Temme and a summary report by Charles Dunkl, one of the
Workshop organizers.  An interesting and valuable feature was the Panel
Discussion in which the plenary speakers and others gave their views on
important future directions in the Workshop topics.  A report on this
Panel Discussion will be featured in the September 15 issue of OP-SF NET.

Topic #2    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Daniel W. Lozier <lozier@cam.nist.gov>
Subject: Message from the Chair

[This is copied from the June (printed) Newsletter - Ed.]

Let me open by congratulating Dick Askey for his election
to the National Academy of Sciences.  Watch for an account
of his accomplishments that led to this honor in an upcoming
issue of SIAM News.

The SIAM Annual Meeting in Atlanta was quite successful from
my point of view.  First, the Minisymposium on Orthogonal
Polynomials: Theory and Applications, organized by Jeff Geronimo,
featured seven stimulating talks; see the report by Charles
Dunkl in this issue of the Newsletter.  Second, the informal
poolside reception, sponsored by the Activity Group and paid
for by SIAM, was pleasant though lightly attended.  Thanks to
Coley Lyons of the SIAM staff for arranging this!  I would
like to try it again at the next Annual Meeting because I think
it is a good way to promote the Activity Group among SIAM
attendees who could benefit from more exposure to orthogonal
polynomials and special functions.

Third, we had a very useful officer's meeting, attended by
Walter Van Assche, Charles Dunkl, Peter McCoy and myself, in
which we considered the Activity Group program from now until
the next SIAM Annual meeting.  Unfortunately Paco Marcellan,
our Program director, was not present but I will see him at
the upcoming International Workshop on Special Functions in
Hong Kong.  The major activity is likely to be a minisymposium
at the SIAM Meeting.  Peter McCoy volunteered to work on this
and to be the co-chair.  If you have ideas for a topic, or
would like to assist in some way, please contact one of the
Activity Group officers.

I had a discussion with Gil Strang, President of SIAM.  He is
very supportive of our Activity Group.  He has mentioned the
impact of special functions in some of his recent columns in
SIAM News, and I am grateful for his support.  Also, I felt
that his Town Meeting, in which he presented views and invited
discussion on future directions for SIAM, was valuable.  One
emphasis was on international activities, an area in which
our Activity Group is already a leader.

Please note that the subscription lists for OPSF-Net and
OPSF-Talk have been transferred from Tom Koornwinder's
institution to mine.  See Tom's discussion of OPSF-Talk
in this issue of the Newsletter.  For full information
on the new setup, see math.nist.gov/opsfnet and
math.nist.gov/opsftalk.  Archives are available from
these sites, or directly at math.nist.gov/opsfnet/archive
and math.nist.gov/opsftalk/archive.  If you have comments
or suggestions for improvements, please send them to me.
For OPSF-Net, as before, mirror archives are available in
Europe and at the Journal of Approximation Theory.

Topic #3    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: OP-SF NET Editor <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: Gainesville Conference on Symbolic Computation, Number Theory,
           Special Functions, Physics and Combinatorics

This is taken from the URL:
http://www.math.ufl.edu/~frank/qsconf.html
with additional material from a poster circulated by the organizers

CONFERENCE ON SYMBOLIC COMPUTATION, NUMBER THEORY, SPECIAL FUNCTIONS,
PHYSICS AND COMBINATORICS

November 11 - 13, 1999.

University of Florida, Gainesville

THEME
The main emphasis of the conference will be Computer Algebra and how it
relates to the fields of Number Theory, Special Functions, Physics and
Combinatorics. A subject that is common to all of these fields is
q-series. We hope to bring together those who do symbolic computation with
q-series and those that need q-series including workers in Physics and
Combinatorics. The conference should inform mathematicians and physicists
that use q-series of the latest developments in the field of q-series and
especially how symbolic computation has aided these developments. It
should also inform participants of new computer algebra software and
algorithms used in the study of q-series.

MAIN SPEAKERS
     George Andrews, Pennsylvania State University
     Jon Borwein, Simon Fraser University
     Barry McCoy, Stony Brook
     Dennis Stanton, University of Minnesota
     Sergei Suslov, Arizona State University
     Doron Zeilberger, Temple University

The following have confirmed that they will give half-hour talks:
A. Berkowich, B. C. Berndt, S. Bradley, S. Milne, Murata, K. Muttalib, K.
Ono, Quine.

FUNDING
University of Florida, NSA and The Number Theory Foundation

PROCEEDINGS
The conference proceedings will be published by Kluwer and will be
combined with one of the number theory workshops to be held at the
University of Illinois as part of their program "Special Year in Number
Theory".

ORGANIZERS
     Frank Garvan, University of Florida (frank@math.ufl.edu)
     Mourad Ismail, University of South Florida

Topic #4    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Wolfram Koepf <koepf@imn.htwk-leipzig.de>
Subject: Sturmfels to lecture at DMV-Jahrestagung 1999

[From the June (printed) Newsletter]
The DMV-Jahrestagung (annual meeting of the German Mathematical Society)
will take place in Mainz from 5 to 11 September 1999.  I would like to
announce that Bernd Sturmfels is invited to present a plenary talk
"Grobner bases and hypergeometric functions". Further information on the
meeting can be obtained from
http://www.mathematik.uni-mainz.de/DMV99

Topic #5    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Bernd Sturmfels <bernd@math.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Berkeley Workshop on Computational Algebraic Analysis

                           Workshop on

                  COMPUTATIONAL ALGEBRAIC ANALYSIS

        Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley

                         January 5-7, 2000

     Organizers: Bernd Sturmfels, Nobuki Takayama and Uli Walther

Linear partial differential equations can be regarded as left ideals in the
Weyl algebra D. This enables one to study differential equations as D-modules
and was the starting point for the fundamental work of Bernstein, Deligne,
Kashiwara, Malgrange, Sato, and others in the 1970's. The term "Algebraic
Analysis" was chosen by Sato to emphasize affinity with "Algebraic Geometry".
D-modules now sit at the crossroads of many areas: algebraic geometry,
representation theory, PDE's, combinatorics, and hypergeometric functions.

A new trend in D-module theory is the appearance of algorithms and
explicit computations. This lead to an interplay of algebraic analysis and
computational and combinatorial algebraic geometry. For example, the
computation of de Rham cohomology groups, restriction functors and local
cohomology modules has been reduced to computing Grobner bases over D.

This workshop will focus on current developments in this area. Topics include:

* Non-commutative Grobner bases
* Combinatorics and D-modules,
* Cohomological computations,
* D-modules and tight closure,
* Hypergeometric functions,
* Multidimensional residues,
* Regular and irregular singularities

This is an informal workshop, and there is no financial support through MSRI.
Senior participants are expected to pay their own expenses. Participating
graduate students and postdocs will be accommodated with locals. If you are
interested in attending, please write to Uli Walther (walther@math.umn.edu).

Topic #6    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Editor, OP-SF NET <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: San Diego Symposium on Asymptotics and Applied Analysis

This announcement is from the Symposium web site:
http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/math_cs/asymptotics2000

              SAN DIEGO SYMPOSIUM ON ASYMPTOTICS AND APPLIED
                              ANALYSIS

                           January 10 - 14, 2000

                                Organizers:
                          T. M. Dunster and D. A. Lutz
                           San Diego State University
                           San Diego, CA 92182-7720
                                     U.S.A

                 email: dunster@math.sdsu.edu and lutz@math.sdsu.edu

This symposium will compose of talks in the following three categories of
asymptotics and applied analysis: difference equations, ordinary
differential equations, and functions defined by integrals. The first of
these would emphasize representations for solutions in large sectors and
asymptotic methods involving special functions. Included in the second and
third categories would be new results related to exponentially-improved
asymptotics and hyperasymptotics, summation of divergent solutions,
connection problems, error analysis, and applications to special
functions. In all of the above three areas physical applications would be
covered under the scope of the symposium: for example new results in wave
physics (where asymptotics describes the high-frequency limit and
separation of variables leads to ordinary differential equations with a
large parameter), and tunneling in quantum mechanics (where asymptotics of
certain special functions could be used in the determination of
exponentially small widths of energy bands in one-dimensional potentials)..

The following eleven leading experts in the above fields have indicated a
willingness to participate as principal speakers in the proposed
symposium: F. W. J.  Olver (Maryland), R.  Askey (Wisconsin), W. Balser
(Ulm, Germany), C. Bender (St. Louis), M.  Berry (Bristol, UK), B.
Braaksma (Netherlands), F. Pham (Nice, France), R. Schaefke (Strasbourg,
France), Y. Sibuya (Minneapolis), N. Temme (Netherlands), and R. Wong
(Hong Kong).  Each will give a 50 minute talk focusing on significant, new
developments. In addition, there will be a series of shorter 30 minutes
talks from other participants. Post-doctoral and graduate students, and
especially those from under-represented groups in mathematics, are
encouraged to attend.

Topic #7    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Paco Marcellan <pacomarc@ing.uc3m.es>
Subject: Alhambra 2000: a Joint Mathematical European-Arabic Conference

                          ALHAMBRA 2000
          A JOINT MATHEMATICAL EUROPEAN-ARABIC CONFERENCE
                  Granada, July 3rd to 7th, 2000
              http://www.ugr.es/local/alhambra2000,
                  e-mail: alhambra2000@ugr.es
         secretariat e-mail: eurocongres@mx3.redestb.es

                  .--------------------------.
                  | PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT |
                  .--------------------------.

The ALHAMBRA 2000 JOINT MATHEMATICAL EUROPEAN-ARABIC CONFERENCE arises
within European Mathematical Society (EMS) as an opportunity of a meeting
between mathematicians from every European-Arabic culture. Granada, with
the Alhambra as an ensign, accepts this challenge of promoting a meeting
between scientists of the three Mediterranean cultures, which is to be
good at the same time to commemorate the year 2000 as the World Year of
Mathematics.

The Spanish Royal Mathematical Society, integrated in the EMS Since 1998,
offers support and heads the organization of this encounter in Granada.
ALHAMBRA 2000 is already going to become a reality.

ALHAMBRA 2000 is an acknowledged satellite activity of the 3rd European
Congress of Mathematics, Barcelona, July 10th to 14th.

                          .-----------.
                          | STRUCTURE |
                          .-----------.

The ALHAMBRA 2000 Conference includes:

- The ALHAMBRA 2000 European-Arabic Congress of Mathematics that will deal
with historical perspectives on contributions of both cultures to the
present mathematical knowledge, and also will discuss about the state of
the more relevant mathematical concepts over the centuries and the way
they
have evolved.
Plenary lectures of the above subjects will be held in morning sessions,
and short communications will be held.

- Eight ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposia on current mathematical subjects to be held
in afternoon parallel sessions. The Symposia serve as platforms for the
presentation and discussion of the state of the art of topics in the list
of scientific topics below, and they include lectures as well as short
communications, either spoken or in the form of posters.

               TENTATIVE LIST OF SCIENTIFIC TOPICS
               -----------------------------------
               . Computational mathematics
               . Geometry of submanifolds
               . Mathematical demography
               . Non-linear problems
               . Orthogonal polynomials
               . Public mathematics
               . Representation theory of algebras
               . Symmetry
               -----------------------------------

                      .------------------.
                      | PRE-REGISTRATION |
                      .------------------.

If you wish to receive the Second Announcement and information
about the ALHAMBRA 2000 by e-mail, please pre-register.
Pre-registration is free and implies no obligation whatsoever.
In order to become a participant in the ALHAMBRA 2000,
full registration and payment of the registration fee
are necessary.

Pre-registration can be made online, by accessing the Conference
web site http://www.ugr.es/local/alhambra2000, or via e-mail, by
filling the pre-registration form below and sending it to the
Secretariat Conference e-mail address:

                    eurocongres@mx3.redestb.es

Pre-registration deadline: July 31, 1999.

                   .------------------------.
                   | ADDITIONAL INFORMATION |
                   .------------------------.

For further information please contact with the conference secretariat:
             ALHAMBRA 2000 Conference
             eurocongres
             Avda. Constitución, 18 - Blq.4
             E-18012 - GRANADA, SPAIN

             Voice:  +34 958 209 361
             Fax:    +34 958 209 400
             E-mail:  eurocongres@mx3.redestb.es
Local organisation committee:
             E-mail:  alhambra2000@ugr.es
             Web: http://www.ugr.es/local/alhambra2000

                   .-----------------------.
                   |     ALHAMBRA 2000     |
                   | PRE-REGISTRATION FORM |
                   |  (Please send before  |
                   |     July 31, 1999)    |
                   .-----------------------.

PERSONAL DATA
-------------
  First name:____________________ Last name:____________________
  Phone:______________________ Fax:_____________________________
  E-mail:_______________________ URL:___________________________

AFFILIATION
-----------
  Institution or Company:_______________________________________
  Faculty or Department:________________________________________
  Street or P.O.Box:____________________________________________
  City:_______________ Country:______________ Zip code:_________

HOME ADDRESS (if appropriate)
-----------------------------
  Street or P.O.Box:____________________________________________
  City:_______________ Country:______________ Zip code:_________

AREAS OF INTEREST
-----------------
(choose one or several items from the list below)

[X] ALHAMBRA 2000 EUROPEAN-ARABIC CONGRESS OF MATHEMATICS
    (with History of European and Arabic Mathematics and
     Mathematicians)
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Computational Mathematics
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Geometry of Submanifolds
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Mathematical Demography
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Non-linear Problems
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Public Mathematics
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Representation Theory of Algebras
[ ] ALHAMBRA 2000 Symposium on Symmetry

OTHER REQUESTS
--------------
- Would you like to do any contribution?

     Oral [ ],   Poster [ ],   None [ ]

- Number of accompanying persons:   [  ]

SPECIAL REQUESTS
----------------

Topic #8    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Ignacio Bajo Palacio <ibajo@dma.uvigo.es>
Subject: Vigo Colloquium on Lie Theory

I am pleased to inform you that at the University of Vigo we are
organizing the "I Colloquium on Lie Theory and Applications", which will
be held in Vigo (Spain) from July 17 to July 22, 2000.

Some information on the colloquium and a pre-registration form are
available in the following web page:
http://www.dma.uvigo.es/~clieta/index

[The following is extracted from the web page - Ed]

                            I COLLOQUIUM ON

                       LIE THEORY AND APPLICATIONS

                      Vigo (Spain), July 17-22, 2000

A Satellite Activity of the Third European Congress of Mathematics (3ecm)

                        FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

The University of Vigo is pleased to announce the I Colloquium on Lie
theory and Applications which will be held at Vigo (Spain) from July 17 to
July 22, 2000.

The Colloquium will be the first of a series of conferences devoted to all
aspects of Lie Theory and to be held in different locations biennially.

             SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMME AND PRE-REGISTRATION

The Colloquium will include three courses, of three hours each, delivered
by Professors D.V.  Alekseevsy, A.T. Fomenko and M. Scheunert, eleven
invited lectures and several short communications (fifteen minutes each).

All participants should fill, as soon as possible, a pre-registration
form. Those intending to present a short communication must submit by
ordinary mail a printed abridged version to the Organizing Committee NOT
LATER THAN NOVEMBER, 30, 1999. Instructions on the dimensions and style of
the abridged version are detailed in the call for communications.

The languages of the colloquium will be English, Spanish and French; the
organizing committee, however, encouragely recommends the use of English
specially in abstracts and in the written version of the communications.

                        FURTHER INFORMATION

List of Invited Speakers and Titles:

COURSES
     D. V. Alekseevsky: Semisimple Lie algebras, Dynkin diagrammes and
          geometry of flag manifolds.
     A.T. Fomenko: Lie groups and integrable Hamiltonian systems.
     M. Scheunert: (Title not provided)

LECTURES
     S. Benayadi
     M. Bordemann
     V. Cortes
     A. Gonzalez-Lopez
     Yu. B. Hakimjanov
     E. Koelink
     M. de Leon
     E. Macias-Virgos
     A. Medina
     C. Moreno
     K-H. Neeb

Scientific Committee:
D.V. Alekseevsky (Max-Planck Institut fur Mathematik, Germany)  S.
Benayadi (Universite de Metz, France)  M. Bordemann (Universitat Freiburg,
Germany)  V. Cortes (Universitat Bonn, Germany) A.T. Fomenko (Moscow State
University, Russia) A. Gonzalez-Lopez (Universidad Complutense de Madrid,
Spain) Yu.B. Hakimjanov (Universite d'Haute Alsace, France) K.H. Hofmann
(Tulane University, USA)  E. Koelink (Technische Universiteit Delft, The
Netherlands) M. de Leon (CSIC, Spain) E. Macias-Virgos (Universidad de
Santiago, Spain) A. Medina (Universite de Montpellier II, France) C.
Moreno (Universite de Bourgogne, France / Universidad Complutense de
Madrid, Spain) K-H. Neeb (Technische Universitat Darmstadt, Germany) M.
Scheunert (Universitat Bonn, Germany)

Registration Fees:
Registration in the colloquium will be possible from February 1 to April
30, 2000. The registration fees are the following:

 General Fee
               22,000 pesetas (132 Euros)
 Reduced Fees
               Participants registered in the 3ecm
                                              18,000 pesetas (108 Euros)
               Individual members of SEMA
                                              18,000 pesetas (108 Euros)
               Young Researchers(*)
                                              16,000 pesetas (96 Euros)

(*) The "Young researchers" fee is applicable to researchers under 30 who
declare to be unemployed or whose net income does not exceed 125,000
pesetas (750 Euros) per month.

Organizing Committee:
N. Alonso, I. Bajo, R. Gonzalez, A. Martin and E. Sanmartín (Universidad
de Vigo, Spain)

Coordination:
Ignacio Bajo (Dept. Matematica Aplicada, Universidad de Vigo, Spain)
Esperanza Sanmartín (Dept. Matematicas, Universidad de Vigo, Spain)

Address:
I Colloquium on Lie Theory and Applications
E.T.S.I. Telecomunicacion
Universidad de Vigo
36280 Vigo (Spain)

Telephone:
+86 81 21 52 // +86 81 24 45

Fax:
+86 81 21 16 // +86 81 24 01

E-mail:
clieta@dma.uvigo.es

Sponsors and Collaborating Entities:

Universidad de Vigo
Xunta de Galicia
Ministerio de Educacion y Cultura
Real Sociedad Matematica Espanola (RSME)
Sociedad Espanola de Matematica Aplicada (SEMA)
European Mathematical Society (EMS)

Social Programme:

The Social Programme of the colloquium will include a closing dinner and a
visit to the city of Santiago de Compostela. The city of Santiago de
Compostela has been proclaimed one of the Cultural Capitals of Europe
2000.

How to arrive at Vigo:

The city of Vigo, with 300,000 inhabitants, is located in Galicia, a
region in the northwest of Spain.

The airport of Vigo connects the city with Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao,
Valladolid, Frankfurt and Paris daily. The airport of Santiago de
Compostela is the largest airport in Galicia;  it is only 90 kilometres
from Vigo and has flights to many other international destinations. The
city of Porto (Portugal) is approximately 150 kilometres from Vigo and a
large number of destinations are possible through its airport.

There are regular bus and train services to almost all important towns in
Spain and Portugal.

Topic #9    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Walter Van Assche <walter@wis.kuleuven.ac.be>
Subject: Report on INTAS Workshop in Leuven

[This report appeared in the June (printed) Newsletter]

INTAS workshop "Constructive complex analysis", Leuven, Belgium, February
3-5, 1999.

This was already the fourth workshop in the framework of an INTAS project,
with participating research groups from Spain (Universidad de Granada and
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid), Belgium (Katholieke Universiteit
Leuven) and the 'new independent states' (Steklov Mathematical Institute,
Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics, Moscow State University in
Moscow, and State Technical University in Nizhnii Novgorod).  The project
ended in April so that part of this workshop was used to present the
results obtained by the various research groups, but there was also some
room for new research problems and future plans.

There were about 30 participants, mainly from Spain, Belgium and Russia.
Each day consisted of expository talks and workshops, allowing
participants to do some collaborative work in small groups).  On the first
day, Francisco (Paco) Marcellan (the activity group's program director)
talked about semiclassical orthogonal polynomials and electrostatic
properties of their zeroes, Antonio Duran lectured about his results on
indeterminate matrix moment problems, Guillermo Lopez presented several
results regarding the asymptotics of Stieltjes polynomials, and Andrei
Martinez showed the latest results on entropy of Gegenbauer polynomials,
which was one of the main research problems which we wanted to investigate
in the INTAS project.

The second day was entirely devoted to talks from the Russian participants
of the project. Alexander (Sasha) Aptekarev and Vladimir Buyarov first
explained how one can get asymptotics for polynomials with varying
weights. Vladimir Sorokin then gave a very nice talk on Angelesco-Nikishin
systems in number theory, which deals with simultaneous rational
approximation in a very general setting, with its applications in
irrationality and transcendence proofs for various real constants. Finally
Sergei Suetin talked about sets of minimal capacity and asymptotics of the
generalized Akhiezer polynomials.

The final day started with a talk by Arno Kuijlaars on the generic
behaviour of equilibrium measures, explaining how one can get information
of the support of the equilibrium measure for various external fields, a
problem of interest not only for orthogonal polynomialists but also for
random matrix theory and Toda lattices. Jorge Arvesu talked about work in
progress on discrete multiple orthogonal polynomials, Renato
Alvarez-Nodarse (one of our newsletter editors) and his wife Niurka
Rodriguez Quintero (no, she's not the Rodrigues formula person)  presented
some of their work on linearization and connection problems for discrete
and q-polynomials, with emphasis on computer algebra and algorithmic
aspects, while Jorge Sanchez-Ruiz tried to find explicit analytic
expressions for continuous hypergeometric linearization.

I enjoyed very much driving the participants around from their hotel to
the university and to the airport, with the minibus that I rented for the
occasion, which was not particularly easy since there was a lot of
construction going on just in front of the hotel.

Topic #10    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: OP-SF NET Editor <muldoon@yorku.ca>
Subject: Reports on Ballenstedt Workshop

[These reports have appeared in the June (printed) Newsletter]

Second  Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials:  Approximation and Harmonic
Analysis. Ballenstedt, Germany, April 23--26, 1999

I. Report by Wolfram Koepf <koepf@imn.htwk-leipzig.de>

This workshop was the successor of a workshop which took place in
Travemunde, Germany, in April 1998, see
http://www.gsf.de/institute/ibb/prestin/orthopol.html

The very old castle in Ballenstedt was the pleasant location for a
wonderful workshop on orthogonal polynomials. Forty-four participants from
eight countries, but mostly from Germany, attended the workshop. The
Conference languages were German and English.  I had not been aware of how
many German researchers are working in this field, and I was very
favourably impressed!

The invited speakers were Hrushikesh N. Mhaskar, Walter Gautschi,
Ajit I. Singh, Paul L. Butzer, Charles F. Dunkl and Ryszard Szwarc.

Although the schedule was rather dense---there were 31 talks presented in
three-and-a-half days---the auditorium was always full. Fortunately, there
was still time for a joint social event: On Sunday afternoon, most of the
participants took a walk to one of the neighboring towns, and for the
return trip a steam engine with a regular schedule was used. This was a
remarkable trip!

To give a hint about the interesting topics of the workshop I would like
to give a (rather personal) selection:  Paul L. Butzer spoke about
Bernoulli functions, and presented connections with the Riemann zeta
function; Hypergeometric representations of positive definite $1$-radial
functions were given by Wolfgang zu Castell; Charles F. Dunkl gave an
introductory talk about orthogonal polynomials of several variables that
are connected with symmetry groups;  Roland Girgensohn presented Schauder
bases for C[-1,1] consisting of orthogonal polynomials; The indeterminate
Hamburger moment problem was discussed by Caroline Lasser;  Andreas
Ruffing treated the $q$-Hermite polynomials II in connection with the
$q$-Heisenberg algebra, and showed that their orthogonality measure is not
uniquely determined;  Gerhard Schmeisser spoke about the location of the
zeros of polynomials depending on the coefficients of an orthogonal
expansion;  Nonnegative linearization coefficients for arbitrary, and in
particular for discrete orthogonal polynomial systems were discussed by
Ryszard Szwarc.  The main emphases of the talks were orthogonal
polynomials of one variable.

The program, list of participants, and time table of the workshop as well
as pictures of participants of the workshop as well as of the steam
engine can be found at the URL
http://www.gsf.de/institute/ibb/prestin/work2.html

I would like to thank the organizers, especially J\"urgen Prestin, for
the excellent organization, and Frank Filbir for the selection of the
well-suited location. I will remember this event as a special one!

II. Report by Jurgen Prestin <prestin@gsf.de>
         and  Rupert Lasser  <lasser@gsf.de>

The second workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials in Ballenstedt was an event
with a very pleasant and cooperative atmosphere. Specific topics and new
ideas for concrete work in the theory of this subject were discussed, as
well as other areas where orthogonal polynomials can play an important
role.  Here is a (personal) selection of some possible future research
subjects:

- Develop Poisson summation formulas in the context of orthogonal
polynomials and their continuous analogs, and derive related sampling
theorems. The work of P.L. Butzer and M.H. Annaby can provide useful
guidelines.

- Find new specific examples for translation operators connected with
orthogonal polynomials, as in the work of R. Szwarc. Another class of
interesting examples comes from the 1-radial functions presented by W. zu
Castell.

- Investigate in detail orthogonal polynomial systems with respect to
special orthogonality measures.  Examples of such systems connected with
multiresolution analysis were presented by W. Gautschi; other examples
concerning the q-Hermite polynomials were given by A. Ruffing.

- Continue investigations on multivariable orthogonal polynomials.  The
polynomials connected with the differential-difference operators of Ch. F.
Dunkl are particularly interesting from various points of view.

- Transfer more of the powerful results of functional analysis and
operator theory to the field of orthogonal polynomials, as in the work of
H.N.  Mhaskar and B. Beckermann. Similarly, Th. Kriecherbauer reported on
the application of results from the theory of dynamical systems (in
particular, on the Riemann-Hilbert problem) to orthogonal polynomials.

Finally we thank all participants for their contributions  and we hope to
continue this fruitful endeavour by similar activities in the future.

Topic #11    -------------    OP-SF NET 6.4   -------------  July 15, 1999